Greek Easter Cookies from Smyrna
You'll Need: * 2 cups butter * 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 4 egg yolks
* 1/2 cup milk or orange juice
* 8 cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
* 1 eggProcedures : Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside. In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add 4 egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each one. Add milk and flour. Work with the hands until dough is smooth. Add grated orange rind. Dough ...
You'll Need: * 2 kg sugar * 1,5 cup corn flour
* Pinch of mastic powder
* Pinch of vanilla
* 6 cups of water
* Icing sugar
* 1 sacket gelatineProcedures : Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the simmer. Simmer until mixture becomes thick and smooth. Pour mixture into a baking pan and when cool place it in the fridge for 7 hours. Remove from fridge, cut in square pieces of medium size, having in mind that each piece is a serving, and roll each ...
Greek Christmas Bread
You'll Need: * 1 pk (or 1 tablespoon) Active Dry Yeast * 1/4 cup Warm Water (110 to 115 degrees)
* 1/3 cup Sugar
* 1 tea spoon Ground Cardamom
* 1/4 tea spoon Salt
* 1 Egg
* 1/4 cup Milk
* 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
* 1 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
* 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
* 1/4 cup Golden Raisins
* 1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped Procedures : Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Combine the sugar, cardamom, salt, egg, milk and oil in a large bowl. Mix well. Add ...
You'll Need: Filling * 500 gr. walnuts, coarsely chopped
* 60 gr. sugar
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 500 gr. fyllo pastry
* 180 gr. unsalted butter, melted
* 230 gr. caster sugar
* 300 ml water
* 2 cinnamon sticks
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
* some lemon peel
* 2 tablespoons honey Procedures : Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl.
Liberally butter the base and sides of an elongated or round baking dish. Measure the length ...
Greek Apple Pie
You'll Need: * 8 apples (should be cored, peeled and chopped. If desired, 2 cups canned apples (drained) may be substituted.) * 1 tb Cornstarch
* 1/2 c Sugar
* 1/4 c Currants or raisins
* 1/2 ts cinnamon
* 1/2 c Walnuts
* 1/2 ts Allspice
* 1/2 c Butter; melted
* 1 c Powdered sugar
* 1 lb Commercial filo sheetsProcedures : Defrost frozen filo to room temperature, 2 to 4 hours. Mix filling in a bowl tossing ingredients with a spoon. Set aside. Lay 5 sheets ...
Greek Almond Biscuits
You'll Need: * 3 cups almond meal * 1 cup caster sugar
* 3 drops almond essence
* 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
* 1 cup flaked almonds Procedures : Combine the almond meal, sugar and almond essence in a large bowl. Add the egg whites and stir until the mixture forms a firm paste. Do not overmix. Roll a tablespoon of the mixture into the flaked almonds, and then roll into an 8cm long roll. Repeat until all the mixture is used. Press the remaining almonds onto the rolls. Shape ...
Gilt-head bream on the grill
You'll Need: * 1 kg of gilt-head bream * olive oil
* lemon juiceProcedures : Salt the fish, baste it with oil and grill it. Serve in a long platter. Pour over some lemon - oil sauce. Use charcoal if you have. Gives better taste.
Tip: In some regions of Greece they cover the fish with thick salt, they grill it and then they remove the crust of salt that has created and they eat it. With this procedure they do not burn the fish and they manage to give a salty taste to eat as ...
Giant Beans Baked in the Oven
You'll Need: * 500 gr. Greek fassolia gigantes, or butter beans * 1 kg tomatoes
* 160 ml olive oil
280 gr. onions, finely sliced
* 1 tablespoon tomato puree
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* Salt and black pepper
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
* 1 tablespoon oregano
* 1 teaspoon thyme Procedures : Pick the beans clean from stones and grit and soak them in cold water overnight. Drain and rinse them in a colander, ...
Garlic Sauce with Chestnuts
You'll Need: * 1/2 cup olive oil * 3 cups of peeled boiled chestnuts
* 5 cloves of garlic
* saltProcedures : It is very important that chestnuts are still warm when starting the preparation. Smash the chestnuts until they become a smooth "pulp". Add the mashed garlic and vinegar, and pour the oil while stiring with a spoon until it becomes a soft spread
Garlic sauce (2)
You'll Need: * 3 tablespoons minced garlic. * 3 or 4 boiled potatoes, mashed. (or 6 slices white bread, crusts removed, soaked in 1/2 cup cold water and squeezed dry.)
* 1 cup olive oil.
* 1/3 cup white wine vinegar.
* Salt and pepper to taste. Procedures : (Hand method)
Combine garlic with mashed potatoes or bread in a mortar. Blend to form a soft paste. Add olive oil and vinegar alternately in very small amounts, stirring briskly. Add salt and pepper. Continue to whisk ...